Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tis the Season! To be Garage Saling!

I went to a garage sale yesterday, and boy did I hit the book jackpot! I bet I got 2 dozen books, it didn't help that the woman who lived in the house was, maybe still is, a teacher. I also found three skirts and a dress jacket for me. Plus, I found gifts for Cora and Kelby to give to their teachers for Christmas, and I found the most perfect gift for my brother....unbenounced to me, "Keeping Faith - A Father-Son Story About Love and The United States Marine Corps by John & Frank Schaeffer. I have never even heard of the book, but I just knew that it was for my brother.

On that note. I spoke with my brother for the first time since he's gone back out to CA for schooling. OH yeah, um, my brother is a Marine, that may be a little important to mention for those who don't know ;o). Okay, back to the phone call, well, let me preface it with; my brother has been dating a girl for almost three years and he proposed to her last Christmas, and they had set a date over the summer - Dec. 27. So, everybody in our family, except Kennedy, had a role in the wedding. What a blessing to able to be a little more involved with a special day than just sitting on the sidelines. When Zack called last, wait, two Tuesdays ago, we were just getting ready to put the kids to bed and Zack called Dustin's cell phone first. When we didn't answer Dustin's phone Zack called my cell phone. Dustin went ahead and answered it and told Zack that we'd give him a call back in just a minute, we were praying with the kids. Zack was like "Well, let me just tell you one thing You can stop looking for dresses." Okay, well that didn't sound like joyful news. Zack and Linnea's wedding is...postponed...? I mean it's cancelled and all, but not necessarily totally out of the picture. They are wanting to work on their friendship and build that first, and if they both feel like each other is the one that want to spend the rest of their life with, then they will pursue the next level of the friendship. In the meantime, they've agreed to date other people. Can I just say that I'm so proud of them!!!

Along with the whole relationship Zack was getting a horrible case of homesickness. I mean he was ready to just up and leave Monday night (the night before we talked to him). Praise be to God that there are wise, Godly men surrounding him out there on campus. And Zack was in a very vulnerable spot in which Godwas able to use to give Zack the nudge he needed to to search and ask for their wise counsel. Zack now is undoubtedly confident in his calling to be a part of the United States Marine Corps, and not only does he not want to come home, but is excited at his new found direction in life.

God has a funny way of letting us know what he wants us to do. And don't be fooled, He is very much a gentleman and does not force us to do anything we don't want to do, but child, your Heavenly Father knows and WANTS what's best for you! It's just that we think that what we WANT is what we NEED, and totter on the fence between destruction and blessing. He is not going to give you anything that you can't handle, except that which we cannot do on our own. Call Christ a crutch is you may, but in case you haven't evaluated this world lately, we're a pretty broken people. Oh, there are plenty of things that we can do, but there are plenty more things that God CAN do through us. He CAN DO what He SAYS that He can do! And I haven't known God to be much of a promise breaker, in fact, there is not a single promise that he has left unkept. Praise and Glory be to Him, the Maker of the heavens and the earth, and the Potter who saw purpose in me before I was even a thought to my parents, despite my cracks and my faded, warn out color. Thank you Jesus!!!

No comments: